The Albergo Diffuso Forgaria Monte Prat was one of the first to open in the Friuli Venezia Giulia region in May 2003.
Local residents came up with the idea of using farming buildings as lodgings for tourists (the oldest house dates back to 1775). The houses that were placed on the plateau, used as summer accommodations, were mainly rural, with a stable on the ground floor and the house on the top, entirely built in local stone. In fact, during summer months cattle from Forgaria, Cornino and San Rocco transferred to the Monte Prat plateau along with residents of these towns and remained here until late autumn.
After the 1950s, the economy and customs changed as a result of the establishment of the first industries, and as a result the Monte Prat plateau gradually became depopulated and the great earthquake of 1976 lead to the almost total desertion of the headland. When the works of restoration and construction resumed on the Monte Prat plateau, the population realized the importance of these traditional houses. A census of all the houses located on the plateau then took place, leading to the establishment of the “Monte Prat Conservation Park” and, as a result of a specially created development plan, clear instructions for the building and restoration of these traditional houses were given. To this day, traditional stone must be used in the building of the whole house or the greater part of it.
In this context and based on these premises, the Albergo Diffuso Forgaria Monte Prat was created, revitalizing the local economy and promoting the knowledge of our area in Italy and abroad. All houses included in the Albergo Diffuso are located on the Monte Prat plateau, extending to the foot of the majestic Monte Cuar, a sought-after destination in increasingly demanding excursion tourism.